Saturday, 18 February 2012

Body Farms

    
http://science.howstuffworks.com/body-farm4.htm
http://science.howstuffworks.com/body-farm5.htm





























Heyo Peeps,
                     Last semester I had to do a project on forensic anthropology and I stumbled upon this fascinating little gem: Body Farms. What is it you ask? Let me tell you. A body farm is a facility where human corpses have been donated to science and are then put into varying environments within the facility and left to decompose. Each body is given an identifying number and the location of each body is carefully mapped. This type of learning facility allows students the opportunity to learn how to maintain the chain of evidence when working with bodies i.e. tagging bodies to identify who it is. Anthropological students can then determine how the environment affects the bodies and the rates at which decomposition happens. Once the remains have been decomposed to the desired state, the remains are taken to a laboratory and further analyzed. When the students have cataloged their findings, the remains that have been donated are returned to the family of the deceased.

What do you all think about that? Cool? Creepy?  I think it is a really interesting way to be hands on in the field, how many times do anthropologists get the opportunity to deal with remains in variety of environments? At the same time these are people who lived in the same time as you! I'm assuming that some of the corpses would still have skin, hair, etc, depending on the environment they were placed in. I don't really know what my reaction would be to that?! Personally, I don't think I would donate my body to "Body Farms" nor would I want my family members to be a part of that. I didn't really realize how this would affect me until I thought about it.  I agree with donating organs and whatnot, so why would I say no to this? I still can't quite put my finger on it but maybe it's the thought of a loved one not having a proper burial until after the facilities are finished with their bodies. I think a huge part of the grieving process is having closure, which usually comes in the form of a burial ritual/ cremation. I think that it would be really hard to have to wait for the return of the bodies for burial. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

References

http://science.howstuffworks.com/body-farm.htm

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never heard of this... I would find it a bit creepy too. On the one hand, I can see the benefits and the learning opportunities. On the other hand, well... it's not what I envision for myself or my loved ones. But, in thinking about it, I'm not sure why I have problems with it. I'd like a green burial, but why not an educational one first? What do they do with the remains after they are studied?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also want a green burial! As for the bodies, once they have been studied they are returned to the families so that they can properly bury them as the family sees fit.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! I first heard of body farms while watching my all time favourite t.v. show, Bones. However, I figured it was simply a Hollywood trick in order to keep the viewer on the edge of their seat for another week. I am amazed that it is a real thing. I agree it is a little creepy, but in the coolest way possible. I love this idea and will investigate further! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are interested in this the research facilities are in association with three colleges in the US: Western Carolina University, University of Tennessee-Knoxville and the University of Texas-San Marcos.Hopefully this helps you out!

      Delete